***IMPORTANT UPDATE – March 17, 2020***
In efforts to minimize risk of exposure to COVID-19 for staff and clients, all CAPMC Volunteer Tax Assistance (VITA) services have been POSTPONED until further notice. Tax deadlines for the state of California have been extended and we expect that deadlines will also be extended at the federal level very soon. We hope to resume VITA services after Easter.
Stay safe and be well.
Once again, Community Action Partnership of Madera County is participating in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. The VITA Program offers free tax help to people who generally make $66,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
The VITA tax preparation assistance is provided on a First Come – First Serve basis. When you come for your VITA tax preparation, please be sure to bring the following documents:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- If filing taxes as a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Community Action Partnership of Madera County provides the VITA service in association with the following organizations: