How To Become a Licensed Child Care Provider

Before getting started…

Caring for children in a family child care home is a big job and not everyone is suited for it. Before you put in the time and effort to get your license and open your home as a business, it is a good idea to ask yourself some important questions about how you feel. Honest answers will help you figure out if this is the right career for you.

  • Do I like children and know enough about them to take good care of them?
  • How do I feel about parents who work outside the home and place their children in child care?
  • Do I have a warm family life that will make children feel welcome, secure, and cared for?
  • Am I in good health-physically and emotionally-to take on a job which requires strength and stamina?
  • Can I handle accidents calmly and efficiently?
  • Am I flexible enough to accept the surprises that come when children are around?
  • How much satisfaction will caring for someone else’s child really give me?
  • What will I do if I become ill, or have an emergency? Can I find a substitute who will carry out my routine?
  • Do I have sufficient income to sustain me through owning and operating a family child care home?
  • Do I want this much responsibility?

How do I obtain a family child care license?

Family child care licenses are issued by the State of California, Department of Social Services, and Community Care Licensing.

To become a licensed child care provider, you need to fulfill the following requirements:

  1. Be at least 18 years of age and in good health.
  2. Attend a Licensing Orientation sponsored by Community Care Licensing. Orientations are held in Fresno or Merced. For more information, please call CAPMC R&R at (559) 675-8469.
  3. Fill out a Family Child Care License Application Packet and submit it to Community Care Licensing. You will need to include a negative tuberculosis clearance for yourself and anyone over age 18 in your home.
  4. After you are notified that your application has been accepted by Community Care Licensing, continue to the Livescan fingerprinting process for yourself and anyone over the age of 18 who lives in your home.
  5. Complete 15 hours of Preventative Health Practices, including CPR and First Aid. Call CAPMC for more information.
  6. Within 30 to 90 days of submitting your license application, a licensing analyst will make an announced visit to your home.

The evaluator will be checking for the following items:

  1. A working smoke detector.
  2. A working fire extinguisher.
  3. A working telephone system.

They will also check for the following conditions:

  1. That your house is clean and orderly, has proper heat and ventilation, and is free of any safety hazards.
  2. That you provide safe, appropriate toys, play equipment, and other materials.
  3. That hazardous substances such as poisons, cleaning supplies, and medicines, are inaccessible to children. All toxic materials must be in a locked cabinet.

After you receive your license…

Contact CCR&R to be placed on the Child Care Provider Referral Database for Madera County. You will be asked to update your information every three to six months.

You may contact us at (559) 675-8469 Monday through Friday 8am-5pm.