Have you been a victim of a crime in Madera County?
Often until one has become a crime victim he or she may never have heard of Victim/Witness Services or contemplated the wide range of services available to crime victims. Highly-skilled and well-trained Victim/Witness Advocates provide the necessary services to help victims through the complex criminal justice system, and to locate important resources in the community.
We can help
If you or a family member have been assaulted, battered, molested, injured by a drunk driver, murdered, or robbed, you may be eligible to receive services.
The Victim Services Center (VSC) can help by:
- Helping you with the application for a state claim through the California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP) to be reimbursed for:
- medical and dental bills;
- funeral expenses;
- mental health services; and
- moving expenses.
- Accompanying you to court hearings and case updates;
- Helping you prepare a victim impact statement; and
- Increasing your safety by helping you apply for a restraining order.
As a crime victim, you have the right to:
- Receive a Marsy’s Card
- Be treated with respect, dignity, and compassion;
- Be protected from the accused, intimidation, and harm;
- Be informed of social services and resources available in the community;
- Be informed of the criminal justice process, and the status of the case;
- Be accompanied to court for support;
- Have opinions considered at the case disposition through a victim impact statement;
- Request the return of your property; and
- Be compensated for injuries, wage loss, and funeral expenses.
Need help now?
If you need immediate assistance please call our 24 hour toll-free crisis hotline at 1 (800) 355-8989. If you have an immediate emergency please call 911.